Sunday, February 21, 2010

FHE with the Makilans

This is Family Home Evening with the Makilans! Brother Makilan is the older gentleman on the left. He is also the Ward Mission Leader. It looks like a lot of fun!

Elder Booth with the Makilans...


This picture is taken by Elder Booth:

This is a plant that Elder Booth found interesting, and I can see why:

This is the church Elder Booth lives next to. It is actually right next to the
LDS Church there. The name says it all... (True Jesus Church)


Here's another email update from Elder Booth:
Date: June 7, 2009 11:54:10 PM PDT
Subject: Email's Back

Hey! I have some very good news. As of last week I am able to email again. I just found out a little late last week so I did not have any time to actually email. Actually, when I found out I was writing my weekly letter to you all. So of course, being the good missionary I am, I concluded that it would take longer for the letter that I was writing to get to you than it would take the email I am writing now. So of course I decided not to send it. So you will be only getting one letter from me from that little span of not being able to email. So ya, I am very sorry about that and I will try not and let it happen again if email is ever not allowed again.

These last couple of weeks have been very good for me, though. I think I wrote in the last letter about the other baptism, so I will just assume you already know what went on there. I did have one just last Saturday though, so I can talk about that one. It was with Rea Mae Segunla. She is sixteen and one of my easiest investigators. I think I have told you about the times that she actually worked a little bit with us before as an investigator. I think she was there with some of our New Member Lessons. There is something amusing about teaching members with a nonmember as your companion. I guess that is just kind of backwards. It was great though to baptize her. Unlike last time, there were not a whole lot of people there. There was supposed to be an activity, so I thought a lot of people would come. It happened to be raining, though. I have actually come to find a new definition for rain here. When it rains hard here, it is pretty nuts. I am pretty sure pore little Vegas would be swimming within seconds. When it rains back home I will just always think "Oh, this is nothing." The Baptism went very well, though. Even though not a bunch of people were there it was still good because her friends from the ward were all there giving all of their support. She has a lot, which made things very nice for us. She actually even fasted the next day for fast Sunday. I think she will be very active in the church for a very long time. It was a good experience, which is great since this will probably be my last Baptism here in Paglaum.

Ya, I will probably having new experience somewhere else. I am not going to say for sure though because I really don't know. You know what happened last time I thought I knew. Last I heard, I would still be close to Bacolod and follow up training. I have no idea if that is true, though. I guess I will know for sure tomorrow morning. I will have to tell you next week if I am emailing you from a different place or not.

The rest of my investigators are making good progress. That lady that I am always excited if she comes to church just got a baptismal date. She and one other are the only two left from my first transfer, and I was the one to talk to both of them. I will be really happy to hear if they get baptized or not. I would actually be willing to spend another transfer here if it meant that I could see them get baptized. Oh, and yesterday was also cool because the investigator that needs to get married just had her child get blessed. It really is a cute baby. Now the next step is marriage. I am sad that I never got to see her get baptized. She was my fist appointment in the field. Well, I guess as long as it happens some day I am alright with it.

My most interesting lesson though, with some investigators, was with a British guy. He lives in a big house kind of by the golf course here. I decided that white people are just to hard to teach. I thought it would be easy for me since it was in English. That really did not help though since it is almost impossible for me to teach in English now. He just was not interested. He was a nice guy, though. I think he just wanted to talk to someone that was white. It was just him and his Filipino wife living there. Well, I think that was his wife. She looked about twenty and he is about fifty. I guess as long as they have money... Ya, all he really wanted to do was talk about random things. Actually a lot about politics. This was kind of hard for me since I kind of like talking about politics. I did get him to watch the restoration though. All he said was I guess it would have been nice if all of us could have seen that as well so we could all know it was true. I just told him that it would make faith completely useless and gave him a Book of Mormon. We will just have to see how that goes. The problem is, if I get replaced by a Filipino, then he will probably be forgotten. I guess it just is not his time.

I can't really think of too many funny experiences. I guess I will just try and make a good one for next week. I am excited to here from all of you. I love you all and am very grateful for the support that each and every one of you gives me. Thanks.

Elder Booth

No comments: