Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first Apartment in the Philippines...

Elder Booth has arrived and is excited about his new living quarters. As he said in his 12/28 letter: "We live in a nice apartment. My companion said it is probably the nicest one he has ever lived in so I guess I am pretty lucky." Here is his new place:



View of the other side:


View out the window:


He is living with his companion (obviously) and with another companionship. His companion is Elder Erickson (from Idaho) and he is the tall one on the left. Elder Netzley is the one in the middle and Elder Hamblin is the one on the right.


Unfortunately, when Elder Booth sent his picture card back, he had formatted it in a way that he couldn't go back and review his pictures to explain what they were. So I'm not quite sure what these pics are about. Pink marker??

Elder Hamblin

Elder Erickson

Elder Booth

Here is his second letter from the Philippines:

Date: January 4, 2009 9:31:18 PM PST

Hey, how is it going back in the states? I don't think I will ever really get used to thinking that I am over 4000 miles away. I try not to think about it because it is just weird. I am still doing great. The people here are amazing. They are not hard to love because they are so loving themselves. It is amazing how humble they are as well. I am learning a lot about the true meaning of that word. That is probably one reason why the lord thought it would be a good idea to send me here. I needed a pretty good lesson on humility. Ryan, you are right though. Most of the houses I have been teaching in are worse than the hospital, but the people are still happy and that, in my opinion is truly amazing. The spirit is felt so strong each time because they really listen to the message.

We have been working hard this last week. The last elders didn't really leave us with much to work with area-book wise and member wise. Actually, they had to be emergency transferred because one of the members threatened to kill one of them. That has been kind of a hurtle to jump over member wise, but we have managed pretty well. Everybody is actually starting to warm up to us pretty well now.

Oh, and I think the high-light of the week would have to be getting a baptismal date for a whole family. Its not until the thirty-first because they were having problems with the word of wisdom. They are doing great though. They haven't had a cigarette for two weeks now. They are so much happier to and it is truly inspirational to see. I really hope they stay faithful. We gave a date to another sister as well. She just has to wait until she can get married, because she is living with her boyfriend right now.

The language is coming along alright, I guess. It is a little frustrating to have to learn another. Maybe it's just because I am prideful and selfish because I just want to become really good in tagalog instead of alright in three different languages. It's hard to figure out what to study sometimes. It's alright though, I am still learning a lot each and every day so I guess that is the biggest thing.

The culture here is amazing. They are so loving and laid back. If Mexico is anything like this, I now know why Chad is late all the time after his mission. I don't think we have started anything on time, when it comes to the ward. We call it Philippino time here. I actually think the only thing hard to get used to culture wise is washing my clothes by hand. You should all be very grateful each and every time you put something in the washing machine. I probably spend at least three hours a week washing my clothes.

The weather here has been really nice. Everybody accept the people who have just arrived have been really cold, so I am kind of excited to see how the hot season is. I'm sure I will get used to it though.

New Years was fun. The president actually approved us watching Disney cartoons. We weren't allowed to leave our apartment after six because it is like a war zone out there at night. So we just stayed inside got a pizza and watched movies all night. It was really fun. I don't think I have ever enjoyed watching Disney as much as I did that night.

I haven't been very good at taking pictures since I have been here, so I will try and get better so i can send you home an sd card and you can see what I am seeing. I might make a video this month if I have time. We will just have to see how it goes. I get mail on Tuesdays, so I am sorry if you wanted me to write about something you sent. It's a lot harder to find time to write letters here, so I will do my best to write everyone a couple of times, but I am sorry if I don't. Oh, and sorry for the horrible English. Being bad before I came, plus the typos, and getting worse and worse as I learn Ilango. So sorry about that. I think it's alright as long as you can understand it.

Well, I love you all and am truly grateful for all of your support. I don't know what I would do without all of you. Thanks and keep on doing the Lord's work there at home. Remember you never stop doing missionary work.

Elder Booth

No comments: